Today Kyle and I made delicious strawberry waffles and I want to share the easy recipe! We found the batter recipe and strawberry topping recipe on allrecipes.com It was super easy to make and we had all the ingredients in our cupboards. This week berries were buy 1 get 1 free at the grocery store so we had a pint in our refrigerator.
The waffle mix is actually a Fluffy Pancake Mix but since we own a waffle maker we like making waffles instead! I cooked the waffles while Kyle made the strawberry topping. It worked out perfectly–just as I finished the last set of waffles the topping was finished! From what I read in the comments section of the website the strawberry topping also works great on top of cheesecake or angel food cake.
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Cooking spray
- Combine milk with vinegar in a medium bowl and set aside for 5 minutes to “sour”.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Whisk egg and butter into “soured” milk. Pour the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and whisk until lumps are gone.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, and coat with cooking spray. Pour 1/4 cupfuls of batter onto the skillet, and cook until bubbles appear on the surface. Flip with a spatula, and cook until browned on the other side.
- 1 pint strawberries, cleaned and stemmed
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Cut about 1/3 of the strawberries in half. In a saucepan over medium high heat, combine strawberries, sugar and vanilla. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. In a blender, puree about 1/3 of sauce, then mix back into remainder. Store in refrigerator.
The directions are a little misleading for the topping. You will use the entire pint of strawberries. 1/3 is cooked, 1/3 blended and 1/3 added in last. Kyle did not use the blender he just used the whisk to mash up that portion.